Part 21 of the Local Government Act establishes Building Regulations for the Province including adoption of the Provincial Building Code.
Council has adopted a Building Bylaw which gives the Building Inspector authority to regulate, pursuant to the Provincial Building Code, all building activity within the municipal boundaries. Public safety is the major consideration of this office.
The Building Inspector reviews applications and issues permits for new construction, extensions or alterations to buildings within the City. In more detail, the following duties are undertaken by the Building Inspector:
- Accepts Building Permit Applications.
- Checks plans for compliance with Building Codes, Zoning Requirements, Building and associated Bylaws.
- Discusses with design professionals the requirements of the Building and related Codes.
- Assists the public with land use, zoning, subdivision and building requirements.
- Keeps up-to-date on changes to all pertinent Codes and Bylaws.
- Monitors and inspects construction and demolition projects.
- Monitors the City for projects without permits.
- Prepares reports/information for the Board of Variance and acts as secretary.
- Maintains Building Department drawing storage reference library.
- Issues Building, Plumbing, Demolition, Moving, Sign and Temporary Permits.
- Inspects premises at business license application stage to ensure compliance with Bylaws and Codes.
Building Permit Application
For Building Permit information including, under what circumstances a Building Permit is required, or what the Permit Holder is responsible for, you may wish to download a Guide to Building Permit Applications here. You can download the guide or an application for a Building Permit by clicking on the hyperlinks. After completing the application you can mail it to, or drop it off at, City of Williams Lake, 450 Mart Street, Williams Lake, BC V2G 1N3, fax it to (250) 392-4408, or E-Mail it to email@example.com.
Building Reports & Annual Comparison Report
Building activity within the City of Williams Lake municipal boundaries is tracked and reported on a monthly basis. Copies of the monthly reports and annual reports are located in the Documents section.
The Board of Variance
The Williams Lake Board of Variance consists of three (3) independent members of the public appointed by City Council. It is the Board's responsibility to make a decision where an applicant wishes to vary a Zoning Bylaw regulation with regard to: the siting, dimension or size of an existing building; or the siting of a mobile home in a mobile home park; or the prohibition of a structural alteration or addition to a non-conforming building.
Also the Building Inspector's determination of building damage can be varied and sanctioned by the Board.
The Board deals with only minor variances and may not approve a variance that in the Board's opinion:
- Results in the inappropriate development of the site;
- Substantially affects the use and enjoyment of adjacent land;
- Varies permitted uses and densities under the applicable Bylaw; and
- Defeats the intent of the Bylaw.